I was in the holy company of my spiritual master Swami Bhoomananda Tirtha on the auspicious occasion of 'Guru-Poornima' on 5th July, 2001 at 'NARAYANASHRAMA TAPOVANAM' in Trichur (Kerala). On this day, after the worship of the Guru, a message was given by him to his disciples. The message is always deep and helps a lot for further progress. I am hereby giving the extract of my master's message on this 'Guru-Poornima', pointwise and in brief.
1. We should always keep in mind that we are not the body. Body is mortal but we are not. This thought alone can take us to the pedestal of wisdom and our life can become truly fulfilled.
2. Only our 'Guru' can address us as immortal and no one else including the parents and school teachers. Guru sees the immortal in us and can make us feel immortal.
3. The truth of our being immortal was discovered countless generations ago and will remain so for countless generations. This is the true spiritual wisdom.
4. All wealth perishes but the wealth of spiritual wisdom does not and lives from generation to generation. Only if we are able to realise this truth in life, life becomes meaningful. In fact, this alone is the central message of Bhagvad Gita.
5 We should remember that destruction is never in the nature of nature. Nature only knows transformation and evolution. This being so, whatever happens in life should be welcome. The fact is that we learn more from the loss than from gain. Tragedies of life are not to be ignored or laughed upon, they are to be endured.
7. Spiritual infection has to begin in everyone's life some day or the other. This call of spirituality is the most important call of life. Fortunate are those in whose life this call comes early.
8. Guru-Poornima is an occasion to assess our progress and make necessary correction or modification in the journey of spiritual progress.
9. We should take necessary care of body. It should be fed, clothed and kept appropriately. All this should never mean that we become the body and neglect the immortal part of us.
10. Desire, fear, greed and all other negative impulses are part of life. They have to be understood well and transcended. Once we understand their genesis, the transcendence becomes easy.
11. 'Guru-Shishya' relationship should grow with time. It is a very precious association. A Shishya is a member of Guru's family.
12. All duties carried out with devotion is a part of divine service and a step towards spiritual progress. The purpose of each activity is to dissolve ego and become weightless. This is the essence of entire spirituality.
13. Progress in spiritual path means expansion of mind so that the entire creation of God appears as one family. Guru helps in such an expansion of mind. Once this happens, realisation of our immorality is a natural outcome.
With this message Swamiji blessed all the devotees.